Builder of minds. Writes code that writes code.
Since 1998, I have written software for large, established companies like AIG and Conde Naste, as well as fast growing start-ups like Performance Media Group, in roles ranging from technical lead to director of development. As a partner at Barbella Digital, I wrote software patterns, code generators, and messaging systems for the enterprise. Currently, I am the lead software engineer for the University of Virginia’s School of Medicine.
I have a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's degree in clinical psychology with an applied research specialization.
I blog about technology, programming, and cybercultural at codepunk.
Speaking & Presentations
- Microsoft MVP Philadelphia Community Connection. "How Cool? Lightning Talks. Hacking Diversity." November 4th, 2017.
- edUi Conference 2017. "Building Progressive Web Apps." September 26th, 2017.
- edUi Conference 2017. "Building Bots for the Conversation UI." September 25th, 2017.
- LSP Fall Conference 2015. "Tooling and Process Improvement with Grunt, Boxstarter, and Git." November 19th, 2015.
- JAM Orlando 2010. "jQuery and JICS." June 4th, 2010.
- New York Times Travel Show. "Web Presence and Social Media Workshop." February 6th, 2009.
- New York Times Travel Show. "New Technology Panel." February 6th, 2009.
Contreras, C. L.M. & Szul, M. (2016). Exploring the importance of first access delay. Presentation at the 2016 Capella University Faculty Virtual Conference, Navigating Online Learning Challenges: Collaborating for Innovation.
Szul, M., & Contreras, C. L.M. (2013). Learning management systems, design, and grade performance. Poster presented at Association for Psychological Science Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
Contreras, C. L., Szul., M., Donley, D., & Thomas, S. M. (2012). Grade predictors in online learning: Exploring the importance of first access delay. Poster presented at Virginia Association for Behavior Analysis, Harrisonburg, VA.
June 2011 - August 2013
Reviewed, summarized, and wrote literature and data related to online learning, learning management systems (LMS), computer literacy, personality types, and grade performance. Performed statistical analysis on data sets, and worked with computer literacy and personality measures.